#1736: Interdiction Agreement Status : Kozyn comments

From: John C. Kozyn <jckozyn@mnsinc.com>

I apologize for not following the (numerical) thread which was posted
recently by Charles Arthur asking about the status of the 1981
interdiction signed between representatives of the Duvalier and
Reagan régimes.

Anyway, in tardy answer to Arthur's question - and in spite of
several erroneous news articles recently asserting that the agreement
is in force - I'd like to point out that former President Aristide's
1994 decision to let that agreement lapse is indeed a fact, and that
the agreement is no longer in force.

Ergo, current U.S repatriation efforts are unilateral actions
unsupported by the Government of Haiti. (I think that the U.S.
Supreme Court apparently ruled that no law or constitutional article
in the U.S. is being broken by such repatriation efforts).

John Kozyn