#1874: friends of haiti : Paryski comments

From:PPARYSKI@aol.com

Much in line with what the RAM says, I once suggested to USAID, when I
directed the Macaya Project that they funded, that the best way to at least
momentarily stop the destruction of once resplendent and biiologically unique
forests of Pic Macaya would be to offer a US visa and vocational training to
the 1000 peasants living in and around the Macaya National Park.  I surmised
that it might be much more cost effective than all the multi-million dollar
efforts to increase production on tiny plots of cleared land and to push
malnourished peasants to plant trees themselves.  Needles to say their
reaction was far from favorable.

Paul Paryski