#1969: Re: #1920: Zennie replies to Morse

From: jewel <redlion@ufl.edu>

Dear Mr Morse,
You're right, the orange juice needs to be replaced and an extra glass given
from the neighbour.
I am in the United States for school, not until things get better, they were
already bad for a long time before I left.
I don't understand the basis of the question as to whether being in the
States is a right or a privilege.
In my opinion it is neither. Though I recognise that the United States is
greatly involved in our politics and have been for ever, I still don't think
they "owe" us anything per se. It is our responsibility to make our country
better, not theirs (i.e. orange juice anaology). Therefore, they don't owe
any of us visas, alien cards or political asylum.
If I am here it's because I am lucky to be able to afford to go to school
year. That might make it seem like a privilege. It is, in the idea that I
get to do things many people don't. However is it a privilege to feel unfit
for society every day. To feel like a foreigner evey day.
A true privilege would be being able to go home knowing that the environment
was safe, that there are reliable educationnal institution in which my
studies will not be interrupted by strikes, coups, or other political
problems. Then I would know that I have the freedom to set out and acheive
what I want for the healthcare situation and I would truly accomplish
something,
THAT would be a privilege. Never to have to leave where you belong, your
home.
There is a reason why we are on this list, those of us who are Haitian
living in the US. I bet most of us would be more than happy to go home.

Sincerely

Emmanuelle A. Zennie