#2034: Re: #2008: Re: #2005: Democratic Ayiti: Gill replies to Poincy

From: Mark Gill <markgill@midwest.net>

any move toward "democracy" by a country with no history of a stable
judicial system, a stable means of transference of power, no agreed upon
standard of egalitarianism, etc, will encounter some considerable
chaos......no way around it...

i have indicated in other mail lists that unless we see the rise of
peasant organizations, the growth of labor unions, as a counter to the
current power configuration, then real change in Haiti probably wont
occur.....

political rethoric on the part of leaders re democracy is usually just a
means of appeasing the foreign groups that hold the financial aid
strings....old papa doc was good at this, as we know.....