#2225: Ode to lougawou: Antoine waxes poetic

From: Guy Antoine <GuyAntoine@windowsonhaiti.com>

Ode to Lougawou

Behind the death of every infant or toddler,
there is a lougawou...
Behind every premature or unexpected death,
there is a lougawou...
And rare the death that is expected at all.

Behind any successful entrepreneur,
married to a lady from out of town,
there is, of course, a lougawou...
To insure the success of her husband,
every child in town is fair game to her charms.
Haitian children are born immune to death
and disease, until the lougawou strikes!

Behind any man or woman
who climbs the ladder out of poverty,
there is a lougawou...

Behind every vache qui rit
and every vache qui pleure,
and a capsized ferry boat,
there is, of course, a lougawou...

Sometimes, I have bad luck
for no reason whatsoever.
I wonder if among the lurkers
on this venerated forum
there might not be... a lougawou.

Lougawou, si se wou, di se wou wi!

As a charter member of NCDL, the National Coalition for
the Defense of Lougawou (descendants of Anglo-Saxon
werewolves), I must vigorously protest all the malicious
Corbettist propaganda regarding our indigenous lougawou,
a dedicated bunch of social workers who have for several
centuries performed the thankless job of taking small children
away from very, very bad parents.

What would happen if we did let those children grow?
We failed our duty only once, when we had the chance to take
away Jean-Bertrand Aristide at the tender age of seven months,
and see what happened to the country since that single point
of failure nearly 45 years ago!

How can one explain such verbal abuse in the face of all the
good we have accomplished?  In truth, we are the catfish of
modern society, yet people are terribly envious of our powers.
Our unfailing service to humanity has obliged us to cultivate
extraordinary talents over the years.

In sparsely wooded Haiti, assuming the form of a wolf, like our
predecessors, would hardly provide cover.  We had to learn to
fly, so we became bats and firebirds ( what did you expect? )

To those who ask for evidence of what appears to fly in the
face of Modern Evolutionary Theory, we only have three letters
to say: DNA ( Do Not Ask ).

Why should we reveal our secrets when we have been
persecuted throughout History?  We simply go about doing
what we must do, in spite of the zillion evangelists who come
to Haiti for the unique purpose of hunting us down.  We
suspect that this book they carry is nothing but a manual of
warfare instructions secretly coded and adapted from the
School of the Americas.

Oh, would not they go to Sarajevo instead!  There's your cat...
His name is Milosevic!  Leave us alone, for batman's sake!

So we continue to save Haiti, while you are bent on
exterminating our breed.  Your tactics are vile and cruel.
Knowing that we have to shed our human skins for our
transformation into other living forms, and attending our
mission to Save the Children, you shamelessly spread
salt and piman on our skins you occasionally discover
on tree branches or your rooftops.

How many times must we hear your manic laughs to
our shrills and discomfort when we suit on as we must
before daybreak, our marinated skins?

Oh, SHAME ON YOU!  Some of us die in this process,
you know, which means more baby Aristides will grow...

Do you care that some of our unfortunate sisters have to
abandon their skins and seek refuge at the old building
of the Ministry of Agriculture?  There they are forced to
spend the rest of their lives in batlike forms...  and stil
you will not grant them the peace that they deserve!

In spite of it all, we pity you.  We ask the lwa to forgive
you, because you do not know what you do.

Furthermore, we are secured in the knowledge that
we have lived, we live, and we will live.

For the Executive Committee,

Guy S. Antoine
Charter Member of NCDL
http://windowsonhaiti.com