#2337: hermaphrodite lwa? Gray replies

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< I hate to distract anyone from all this discussion about the great
problems
 of Haiti but i'm hoping someone can help me start to figure this one out. I
 was recently proposed to by Ezili Boron. The thing is I thought Ezili Boron
 was a female lwa and I'm a woman and I hadn't heard of same sex mystical
 marriages before. However, it turns out that Ezili Boron is actually a
 hermaphrodite and marries both men and women (that is, the female gendered
 Ezili Boron marries men, the male gendered marries women). I was also told
 that Ezili Boron is the northern equivalent of Ezili Je Rouge. So these are
 my questions: Is Ezili Je Rouge also a hermaphrodite? Or is Ezili Boron not
 exactly the equivalent of Ezili Je Rouge? Are there other hermaphrodite lwa?

WOW!

I have never heard of Erzulie Boron... sometimes Erzulie Dantor is considered
to be a lesbian, and there is actually one lwa who is bisexual - Ogoun De
Manye (Deux Manieres, Two Ways).  He/she is served in both Rada and Petro,
with chickens or pigs, and as heterosexual or homosexual.  Also Damballah, I
am told, is sometimes considered to be either hermaphroditic or bisexual,
although I only heard that once.

Mystical marriages are usually heterosexual, and at least in the house where
I first took the asson, the lwa had to be called into the head of a person of
the appropriate sex.  However, I also know women who are married to Erzulie
Dantor.  Hmmmm...

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>