#2364: sewing machines for Haiti (fwd)

From:BebotVA@aol.com

A group from our church just came back from visiting our twin parish in Boucan-Carre in Haiti.  The sisters who run a vocational school expressed a great need for a treadle sewing machine (non-electric).  We tried to find a source in Port-au-Prince with the held of our Hatian driver, but did not have any luck.  Does anyone know of sources in the U.S. or Haiti?  We're also intested in the particulars of shipping --cost, customs duties. etc.  Thanks.

On a different subject--
Why is the Haitian dollar used in Haiti when the unit of currency is the gourde?