#2434: Image of Voodoo : Perrault replies to Bell

From: ange perrault <ange.perrault@mail.tju.edu>

Response to Bell:

I really enjoyed reading your post.
I agree with the fact that Afrocentrism should stay out of the vodou religion.
By the way I did not think that vodou, vaudou, vodun & voodoo meant the same thing.
I spell Vaudou because that is how I remember it being spelled.
What is the current / politically correct spelling?

Anyway back to our sheeps! If VODOU exist back in africa, how does it relate to VODOU
in Haiti, what did remain and what was changed.  I assume St Jacques Majeur being
an adaption must have had a different representation.  Again, I support the use of
catholic images within the religion, it tell of a unique experience of the people
who pratice that religion. Being dominate by catholic images the relation with the catholic
church cannot be avoided, but I would like someone to recommend a book where the same
approach studies the differences and similarities with vodou partices in Africa.

We have had a unique experience in Haiti, and the same arguments that are being carried about
creole can be easily adapted here.
Ange R. Perrault, Ph.D.
ange.perrault@mail.tju.edu