#2459: Images of Voodoo in the 21st century : Perrault responds

From: ange perrault <ange.perrault@mail.tju.edu>

Response to Racine125@aol.com:

You wrote:
>"I don't CARE if Vodou is accepted as a legitimate religion in the "western world"...
>
>First of all, Haitian Vodou is NOT an "African religion", it is a *Creole* religion...

I think you should care if the religion is getting a bad reputation to correct any
misinterpretation by non practitioners.  I know it is not an African religion, what I was
asking is understanding components that are incorporated withtin the religion.  For example
if you look at the Catholic religion and find adaption from Judaism versus non-judaic themes.

You said believe in "God". What is the interpertation of God in Vodou?
Erzulie Dantor (don't quote me) is holding Christ the child in her image of the lady of Chechtahovda(?) What is the interpration of Jesus Christ in Vodou?

Response to Mysteries@aol.com:

Yes Randall, I did receive some additional information about Santiago Apostol,
He is the saint that fights against ALL evil and is represented by a warrior.
I am told that in Loiza, P.R. He is also viewed as Ogoun, and they don't practice vodou.

I guess what I am getting to is that the "PANTHEON of the LWAs" (is that correct?) in vodou
is more complexed than any other religion.

PS: Who is SHANGO represented or related to in Vodou?

Ange R. Perrault, Ph.D.
ange.perrault@mail.tju.edu