#2886: Haitians and the U.S Census (fwd)

From:Nlbo@aol.com

Dear Haitian or Haitian - American Corbett Friends,

As I filled out the U.S Census form, it came to mind that Haitians or Haitian
decents should indicate in the area where it says "some other race" that they
are Haitian. As one may notice, in the Hispanic section, they have Cuban,
Mexican, Puerto Rican. In the Asian, they have Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean
and so on. We Haitian should say Haitian.
I think all the networks, be it radio, TV, or newspapers and also the
churches should echo this suggestion to their patrons.
It is about time that we are counted and officially viewed as Haitian, or
Haitian-American not Afro or African-American. If there are other non
African-American in Corbetland, they should indicate their nationality and
encourage their community to do so also when they fill out their form.
How do Haitians feel about this idea?
Nekita