#2987: More on JBA's Latest Book (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <MaxBlanchet@worldnet.att.net>

 1-800-497-3207
send e-mail

Common Courage

Eyes of the Heart
Seeking a Path for the Poor in the Age of Globalization
by Jean-Bertrand Aristide

Order direct and save 25% ·
Order 20+ and save 40%
Harcover, 88 pages
$12.00$9.00Qty:

Jean-Bertrand Aristide, Haiti's first democratically-elected head of
state, who is widely expected to run and win again in the fall of 2000,
has written a powerfully beautiful manifestation of sadness and hope.
In this age of unprecedented economic growth, more than 1.3 billion
people live on less than one dollar a day. Three billion people, or half
the population of the world, live on less than two dollars a day.
Jean-Bertrand Aristide writes,

"Among the poor, immeasurable human suffering, among the others,
the powerful, the policy makers, a poverty of spirit which has made a
religion of the market and its invisible hand. A crisis of imagination
so profound that the only measure of value is profit, the only measure
of human progress is economic growth."

In what David Korten has called a "beautifully written, deeply moving,
and ultimately hopeful" portrait, Aristide demonstrates why those on the
bottom will never lie down. Among many examples, Aristide tells the story of
twelve-year-old Dominique. During the army coup, thugs set fire to the
children's center where he lived and which Aristide had founded.
Dominique rushed in and saved the lives of several smaller children. He
died a hero, trying to save still more.

Eyes of the Heart is a passionate "letter" about and on behalf of the
poor-the victims of globalization:

"We begin with what is in front of us. I cannot see God, but I can see
you. I cannot see God, but I see the child in front of me, the woman,
the man. Through them, through this material world in which we live we
know God. Through them we know and experience love, we glimpse and seek justice."

In this deeply spiritual book, a religious leader speaks out for the
world's hungry and recognizes that there is also a great hunger for
spirituality, for morality in politics, and for a recognition of the
humanity and dignity of every living being. Aristide is living his
challenge. Eyes of the Heart is a provocative yet captivating invitation
to join his efforts.

Common Courage Press, 2000
ISBN 1-56751-187-2

"A beautiful book - a Third World manifesto written in the spirit of the
gospels- by one of the morally transcendent leaders of our times. This
book, written with wrath and sorrow, modesty and love, will take its
place among the classics of social justice in our times."
--Jonathan Kozol

"Every U.S. citizen who reads this book should cringe at the merciless
betrayal of Haiti by our country. Aristide takes his place with the
great religious statesmen of our day: the Dalai Lama, Oscar Romero,
Desmond Tutu, and Carlos Ximenes Belo. In this small book, we are
priveleged to look into his soul."
--The Right Reverend Paul Moore Jr.

...[a] beautifully written, deeply moving, and ultimately hopeful
account of the Haitian people's struggle to survive with peace and
simple dignity amidst the violence and devastation wrought on them by a
two-hundred-year-plus encounter with the predatory forces of a global
economy. A must read for all who believe in economic and social justice.

--David C. Korten

Donate Your Discount
Proceeds from the sale of this book benefit the The
Aristide Foundation for Democracy. The Foundation
sponsors community-based economic projects,
educational programs, and forums for dialogue aimed
at giving a voice to those who have not traditionally had
a voice in Haitian society...

Pay full price and an additional $3 will go directly to
the Aristide Foundation.
Book + Donation$12.00