#3472: JOURNALISM _____ AYIDE BORGES *Courage in the Heart* (fwd)

From:nozier@tradewind.net

Published Wednesday, May 3, 2000, in the Miami Herald
 JOURNALISM _____ AYIDE BORGES

 Concerned by the sexual abuse of children that she has observed in some
Haitian families, Ayide created a coloring book to teach children about
abuse and help them understand that it isn't their fault.  ``By coming
face to face with such atrocities, I was prompted to do something,''
Ayide said. ``I realized that there are too many children in Haiti being
victimized in this manner, and I wanted to make a difference.''

 Her book, ``Courage in the Heart,'' has been translated into Creole and
French, and Ayide is trying to incorporate it into schools across the
nation. Ayide is editor-in-chief of her school newspaper, Thor, which
twice won first place at a state press competition. And she has earned
the praise of her peers as head anchor at WHNS-Channel 8, a school
television station.