#3820: On DeGraff's (early) Retirement (fwd)

From: Ednair Xavier <zantray@bellatlantic.net>

I have just read post #3791 where DeGraff announces his retirement "on
this one", i.e. the subject of (Haitian Creole) linguistic surrealism. I
am not sure if that means exactly "on this one", but not other topics,
or what? I am both surprised and disappointed. I am more concerned even
that DeGraff is "sure that Bob will be relieved".

I do not Bob from Michel/Michael, but both are needed in this town to
help prevent it from becoming a ghetto. A ghetto is not just a place; it
is also the reflection of attitudes, others might say platitudes, that
people bring to it. Anybody can "act/be ghetto", if s/he does those
things that are usually associated with a ghetto. In order to prevent
the "ghettoization" of Corbettown, there are some residents that must
not retire away from it. I feel DeGraff is one of them.

As for the idea that "Bob will be relieved", perhaps DeGraff knows Bob
and why this will be so. But I know there is no relief in ignorance,
stubbornness, or indifference. DeGraff is not here to be appreciated or
even understood; he is here to make an intellectual contribution. It is
a difficult task for anyone in his position (I once read that "those who
know have more problems than those who do not"), but that is what makes
life engaging for some and useful to others. DeGraff does not know for
sure what seed he has been planting and where.

In any society, experts, intellectuals, thinkers and teachers are marked
men. Their fate depends on the degree of the madness of the leaders and
the governed alike. Let us remember what happened to most of those who
came to enlighthten, help or save mankind from ignorance and poverty,
they were killed. Yet, aren't we glad more disciples were made
throughout history than teachers murdered. So, there is hope.