#3886: Sodo and Sen Jan Batis-So (fwd)

In a message dated 5/26/2000 6:24:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Moibibi@aol.com.com writes:

<< I was surprised to read about the spelling of our famous pilgrimage place
as
 Saut d'Eau.>>

You are surprised at the spelling, and I am utterly amazed at your
surprise.  I have four different geographic books or atlases.  In every
one it is spelled Saut d'Eau.  This is an English language list for
English language discussion of Haiti.  We spell in English.  That's
how the word is spelled in English.

When I'm in Vienna, which is often, I say and write "Wien" (pronouned
in German, Vien).  That's the German.  When I'm in an English speaking
place I say Vienna and spell it as I do.

What so surprising about the spelling of either word in English?

Bob Corbett