#3913: Re: #3900: Mason responds to Poincy (fwd)

From:MIT2Haiti@aol.com

<< I just wished that Canal and Mason had spoken earlier >>

Speaking for Mason, all I did was quote a message posted last year by Jeff
Allen in response to your asking the very same question.

I am not a linguist, although I am most interested in linguistic issues --
especially those issues affecting Haitian Creole.

I did not really add anything new to the debate; I only reminded us all of
the fact that we've been down this road before.

And in a circuitous manner, remind us all of the fact that as long as we keep
going around in these same circles, we will be hamstrung from producing the
very software programs we all wish existed to magically solve such dilemmas
in our everyday lives as readers and writers of Haitian Creole and other such
vernacular languages.

With regard to:

<< Being able to say why the standard Ayitian as Antoine puts it "kwit",
"diri", "ji" and "nwit" rather than "kuit", "duri", "ju" and "nuit", will be
helpful to the legacy of the language. >>

Not only does the Orthography Law of 1979-80 allow for such variation, Dr.
Yves Dejean allows for such variation in:

Dejan, Iv.  Ann aprann òtograf kreyòl la, Sekreteri d Eta pou Alfabetizasyon:
 Pòtoprens, 1985.

Dejan, Iv.  Afabetizasyon ak konsyans kritik: Keksyon ak repons epi
Alfabetizasyon san manti:  Manti san alfabetizasyon, Enprimri Edisyon dèz
Antiy, S.A.:  Pòtoprens, Desanm 1995.

Dejan, Iv.  Ann etidye lang nou an, Edisyon Demen Miyò; P.A.O. Jean-Yves
Urfié:  Pòtoprens, 1995 (reprint of 1986 edition).

Sincerely,

Marilyn Mason

*******
Mason Integrated Technologies Ltd
P.O. Box 181015
Boston, MA  02118  USA
(617) 247-8885 (office & answering machine)
(617) 262-8923 (FAX)
MIT2Haiti@aol.com (e-mail)
Mason Integrated Technologies Ltd Home Page:
   http://hometown.aol.com/mit2usa/Index2.html
Introducing CreoleScan(tm) and CreoleConvert(tm):
   http://hometown.aol.com/mit2usa/IntroCrScCrConv.htm
Orthographically Converted HC Texts Download Site:
   http://hometown.aol.com/mit2haiti/Index4.html
Creole Represented at Seattle Technology Meeting:
   http://hometown.aol.com/mit2usa/SeattleRep.htm
Seychelles Creole Festival and Symposium Report:
   http://hometown.aol.com/marilinc/Index1.html
Creole Language Software Engineering Job Opportunities:
   http://hometown.aol.com/mit2usa/JobOpps.html