#4058: Report from son in Haiti (fwd)

From: Rosann Clements <rosann@onemain.com>

I just talked to my son yesterday...and he told me how Petit Goave (Ti Gwav)
was in a huge state of chaos the days following the election. Burning
everything and people fighting etc...
He said they brought in swat teams or men with riot gear on to settle things
down.  He got caught being in the wrong place in the wrong time. He was
riding into the village on his bike with his Haitian friend, and they didn't
realize anything was going on. They did think it was odd that nobody was on
the street. Then all of the sudden their eyes were burning like crazy and
they had ridden their bikes onto a street that had just been tear gassed.
They then noticed the men with guns etc. They biked as fast as they could
down another street to get out of the gas...and everyone...who saw them
coming flying down the street on their bikes...ran into their houses away
from them. He thought they seemed to be afraid of them. Maybe with all that
was going on...they didn't want to be in the line of fire...if someone was
after them.

I just thought I'd share this incident with you all. I haven't heard on the
news reports about them using tear gas and riot control officers. Maybe I
just missed it...but I don't recall anything about that.
I guess there was a lot of anger and stress after the voting took place.

Thanks for listening...or rather reading!
Rosann :)