#4387: using a mob for strategic reasons : A reply to Gill

From: ROODY BARTHELEMY <kreyolco@hotmail.com>

Mob strategy is as old as propaganda.  Its practice has never been exclusive
to just one camp, and in the case of Haiti, Aristide does not hold the
exclusivity of mob strategy. The Duvaliers(1957-86)inventively used it
against their opponents; Prosper Avril creatively used it in 1989 against
the democratic associations that opposed his burgeoning dictatorship; CATH
demagogically used it some time against Aristide government shortly before
the 91 coup; the defunct FAD'H abusively used it against Lavalas supporters
during the 1991 coup d'etat; the CIA diplomatically used it in Haiti,
through FRAPH, during the Harlan County incident in 1993; and the last but
not least, K-Plim's and KID's proudest label of reputation in Haitian
politics is mob mobilization (preceded usually with threats and warnings
like announcing the end of days).  Thus, maybe Aristide himself--if evidence
confirms that he is using the same tactics of mob manipulation--is just
joining in a dirty political war practice that requires he uses the same
weapons used by his opponents, thereby, adjusting to the standards. This is
tough to say, but maybe it is! And still he would be given the benefit of
the doubt given that his charisma and popularity on the political scene have
been second to no one elses's in Haiti since 1990.  This is what makes it
hard to understand for many of those who are looking at the Haiti's
political situation in a superficial way.

Aristide (the person, not even his party) is seen by all the other political
factions involved as the obstacle to overcome.  The man is always directly
referred to in all the trials, debates, accusations, discussions, and
political plots as the only "empêcheur de tourner en rond". He's accused of
favoring privatization, drug involvement, bribery, embezzlement, corruption
and even is in connivance with the U.S. to relinquish Haiti's sovereignty.
You name it! In strange contrast, "the opposition"  against him is usually
vaguely referred to as a cohesive organization, although there hasn't been
any direct name or specific individual figure that really identifies its
leadership.  And there lays the key to objectively analyze the political
situation of Haiti at this particular time.  The "opposition" as we name it
today is a veritable pool of political associations so fragmented between
their interests and tendencies that only it makes it very hard to define.
To a point that one can ask: opposition to whom or what? Opposition to
Aristide or to Haiti as a nation? The "opposition" actually counts more than
40 political groupies and committees, referred to as parties that have
united to campaign against Aristide's person and influence as well as
against his party Lafanmi Lavalas. And given the history of where the
tenants of this opposition come from, it is necessary to consider that all
of this contains also a good amount of egoistic frustrations, political
ambitions, and professional deceptions.  More than enough to render that
opposition as moribund as we are witnessing it.

If in reality Aristide has no viable opponent, it therefore eliminates any
reason he might have nurtured to encourage the practice of mob manipulation
to violence as campaign or political strategy. Everything would look and be
easy, as it is true that it takes two to tangle. And motive for motive, when
we look at the elections results, even if we were to go with Mr. Manus late
declaration, Aristide and his party would still be ahead as the favorites.
Definitely, it takes two to tangle, se 2 bon ki fè bonbon.

It is fortunate that Mr. Leon Manus, the resigning president of the
Provisoral Electoral Council (CEP)had the courage to react immediately and
so vehemently against the intimidating pressures and threats, said he, that
Aristide's party or Aristide himself was making on his person.  His open
reaction (which real motive we're still to find out about) is a strong
evidence that neither Aristide nor Lafanmi could in anyway exercise some
form of control in the electoral process. So why all the single-sided fuss,
the doubtful flight, and the all-of-a-sudden resuscitated sense of patriotic
duty that immediately replaces a fearful resignation?

When we all know that Aristide is just a man, like me or her, and his
political adversaries are no angels, although they pretend to concert in
space?

We need to start looking at Haiti's political situation in a practical and
realistic way.  Knowing that only the logic in our observations will enable
us to reach to the truth, we need, as objectivity commands us, to get rid of
our subjective and exotic spectacles effectively help Haiti's society
embrace the practice of consensus building.

We need to start looking at Haiti's political situation in a practical and
realistic way.  Knowing that only the logic in our observations will enable
us to reach to the truth, we need, as objectivity commands us, to get rid of
our subjective and exotic spectacles if we want to effectively help Haiti's
society embrace the practice of consensus building. In his comments about
the interesting socio-political concept of consensus building, Gill
mentioned that this should be "the next step in promoting democracy in
Haiti".  The idea is great because it is never too late to do the right
thing.  I wholeheartedly support and applaud the idea by saying that it
should have been implemented long time ago, if really the 1915 occupation of
Haiti was really to fix the "wrongs" of the country.

Yes, consensus building! The most malleable and tolerant approach to
alleviating Haiti's cecity in social tolerance, human rights universality
and political pluralism.  Consensus building, it's what we need for Haiti.
It's what we should encourage...not only when it seems that Aristide is
going to be the winner, but mostly and above all when the Opposition and the
masses do not accept to swallow their loss(es). Then, perhaps every one,
Haitians and non-Haitian alike, in both the national and international
communities, will r-e-a-l-l-y understand that se 2 bon ki pou fè bonbon, it
takes two to tangle...

Roody