4674: Re: #4657: Re: #4604: Laleau reminisces on Marchands vini (fwd)

From:NLaleau@aol.com

When I was teaching seventh and eighth grade in Union School, Port-au-Prince,
in 1969, there was a controversy about the very same phrase... as I recall,
Samir Mourra was singing "Marchands di riz" and a group of other students
took nationalistic umbrage at it, saying he was a Syrian and was insulting
the national anthem... I don't remember if they engaged in fisticuffs over
it, but I think, in fact, they did.

Nancy Laleau