#4709: Re: #4694: On what makes a democratic system: Pierre replies to Poincy

From:HYSEKA@aol.com

Poincy,

I really would like to command you for your concerns. I think you try really
hard to convince many of us of the good deeds that could come out of the
system you're proposing. However, we need to be clear on certain things:

1-Such a system would not be a democracy, but rather what I would call a
"selectocracy."

2-As you said it yourself, the selected group of people that always had the
chance to be in power in Haiti, had never proven themselves to be concerned
that much about the country as a whole, or even their own community. Their
only concern had always been to fatten their wallet and forward the extra to
foreign banks. That is why most of them from this generation can be counted
among the Haitian Diaspora. This to me is not just pathetic. It is a shame.

3-When I really think of considering your "selectocratic" thoughts seriously,
I can't stop but thinking over this simple fact. Please bear with me for I am
not trying to judge another country's past or present. My poor Haiti is
enough for me to exercise my thoughts on, and I am sure not trying to hurt
any sensitivity here. This is just for the sake of argument.
Have you ever tried to imagine how far ahead Black America would be today,
had the people of that group have the opportunity early on to elect their own
leaders in Congress or at the municipality level for instance? After all,
they were former slaves just like our people in Haiti and were not
technically prepared to judge what's right or wrong for themselves. What
about the indigenous people of South Africa, or Zimbabwe (former Rhodesia)?

These are the kinds of questions I ask myself, everytime I read your
arguments over the ignorance of the Haitian masses, therefore their inability
to make wise choice of leaders.

I think at this point, that this whole argument over who is best to select
the leaders of Haiti is worthless. There is a Haitian Constitution and it is
very clear as to what the procedures should be to choose our leaders. It is
through a process called election (democracy), not selection (selectocracy).
Until you or whoever else can change the course of history and prove me
wrong, I will continue to believe firmly in the democratic model of
government. I'll leave the "selectocratic" method to those smarter than me.

Hyppolite Pierre