#4726: Austerity possible, President warns (fwd)

From:nozier@tradewind.net

Published Friday, July 28, 2000, in the Miami Herald

 From Herald Wire Services  HAITI

 Austerity possible, President warns

 PORT-AU-PRINCE -- President Rene Preval of Haiti has warned his
countrymen they will have to tighten their belts if the international
community carries out sanctions threatened over Haiti's recent
legislative elections. Haiti ``won't change,'' and will continue to
recognize results of controversial May 21 and July 9 legislative
elections, Preval said in a statement reported Thursday in the Haitian
press. ``We're going to tighten belts to continue advancing towards
democracy and to build our country.'' Vote results gave the Lavalas
Family Party of former president Jean Bertrand Aristide 18 of the 19
Senate seats up for grabs, and 60 of 83 seats in the Chamber of
Deputies. Preval is also a member of Lavalas.