#4839: Origin of press allegation re: voter registration? (fwd)

From:MKarshan@aol.com

Thinking back over the incredible amount of disinformation surrounding the
entire election process dating back to 97 to date, I'm wondering if anyone
recalls when and where a particular item of disinformation began.  Remember
the press was saying that people were turning out for voter registration
solely because they wanted to have ID cards for the first time in their
lives.  This was repeated by many journalists but I'm trying to recall in
what press it started.  It certainly was an attempt to minimalize the Haitian
people's commitment to participatory democracy. Obviously it was far from
true when you look at the record number of voters who waited hours to cast
their votes on May 21st.