#4960: Re: #4941: Kilgore's suggestion (fwd)

From: Martha O'Brien <mobfa1@scotus.sfcpa.edu>

While I find Kilgore's suggestion of a question on the November
ballot to be basically a good idea, I wonder how practical it would
be in a country where so many voters are illiterate.  Since I was in
Haiti at the time of the 21 May elections (although not as an
observer) I heard many comments about these elections--the most
common being that the ballots were hard to understand.  I wonder
whether it would be wise to introduce any further complications into
the process.
By the way, the people I spoke to in Pandiassou were pleased with
the way the election process went there, were very hopeful that this
election would be a real turning point for the country and were, of
course, most upset when things began to go sour.  As a point of
interest, although there was no violence that anyone in the village
knew of at the polling place, the radio reported the following day
that there had been all sorts of problems.  A real disinformation
campaign.....