#4997: Re: #4945: A correction (fwd)

From: Charles Arthur <charlesarthur@hotmail.com>

Re: #4945:  A correction

In the extract from the Haiti Support Group's Haiti Briefing - August - that
I posted recently, there is a major error that needs to be corrected.

I am grateful to Laurent Beaulieu for advising me that Marie-Yves Pouponneau
Duperval, the new Fanmi Lavalas mayor of Port-au-Prince, is not, as I stated
in the article, "Election 2000 - It's a Family Affair", the wife of
Jean-Claude Duperval, a former Haitian Army chief of staff.

I repeat, Marie-Yves Pouponneau Duperval, the new Fanmi Lavalas mayor of
Port-au-Prince, is not the wife of Jean-Claude Duperval, a former Haitian
Army chief of staff.

Her husband is in fact a Jean-Paul Duperval, who has been an
anti-Duvalierist activist for some time. Unfortunately, other than this, I
do not have any information about Marie-Yves Pouponneau Duperval - does
anyone else?

I apologise for this mistake, and in my defence can only say
that apparently many people in Haiti erroneously believe what I was first
told in May.

Charles Arthur