#5013: A Little History of the Pig Issue in Haitian History (fwd)

From: RIWILSON <RIWilson@maf.org>

     I asked a Haitian friend, Jerome Prinston (Director of the Christian
     University at Christianville, Haiti) about the pig killing in Haiti a
     few years ago.  This is his answer.

     "Richard,
     I don't know a lot about the pig issue, but I know that the facts
     about that subject have been interpreted from various political,
     religious, and cultural perspectives, and that with different levels
     of passion and sentiments. The bare facts were: The African swine
     fever was indeed a reality and would have possibly caused the
     decimation of the pig population soon or later; the slaughter of the
     pigs did take place as part of a government program called PEPPADEP
     (?); the efforts to replace the slaughtered pigs by healthy imported
     breeds did also take place (I know of several missions who helped
     distribute these pigs to local farmers); the integration of these
     imported breeds into the Haitian environment has been rather difficult
     because the habits of these imported pigs made it more expensive for
     farmers to keep them. For example, whereby the indigenous pigs were
     more like scavengers and would eat just about anything, the imported
     pigs wouldn't. Hope that gives some elements of answers. jp"