#5046: URGENT -- FONKOZE NEEDS YOUR HELP (fwd)

From: Fonkozeusa@cs.com

CALL TO ACTION
FONKOZE Needs Your Help

September 7, 2000

At approximately 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 6, 2000, the Central
Offices of Fondasyon Kole Zepňl (Fonkoze) in Port-au-Prince, Haiti were
stormed by 10 armed men representing themselves as members of the Haitian
police force. Fonkoze employees were robbed and forced to lie on the floor
while the Fonkoze Business Manager was made to open and empty the safe. And,
most important, one Fonkoze employee - Amos Jeannot -- was beaten and
kidnapped. His present whereabouts and condition are unknown.

We are appealing to members of the international human rights and advocacy
community, our friends and supporters, and other U.S. citizens to stand in
solidarity with Haiti's poor, and assist Fonkoze by acting on the following:

1. Demand the immediate release of Fonkoze's employee, Amos Jeannot;
2. Call on the government of Haiti to fully investigate this incident, and to
provide protection to Fonkoze and other grassroots organizations in Haiti;
3. Contact your Representative in Congress to ask the government of Haiti to
fully investigate and assist Fonkoze;
4. Mobilize your networks; and
5. Pray for us.

Contacts:
Monsieur René Préval
President of the Republic of Haiti
Fax: 509-223-2530

Monsieur Pierre Denizé
Chief of Police
Fax: 509-245-7374

Embassy of the Republic of Haiti, Washington, DC
202-332-4090
Fax: 202-328-6375

U.S. Capital Switchboard
202-224-3121