#5106: depression and fear are the current feelings in Haiti (fwd)

From: JHUDICOURTB@aol.com

For those in the political circles close to the government of Haiti, I would
like to know who exactly they are working for.  Whose life do they think they
are improving by their actions?  It is easy for them and their friends to
blame large nations and rich Haitians but the mess of the May election has
just added to the despair and depression in the country.  Now that the rainy
season has come and that school is supposedly open, some things have changed
since May but it is hard to find what has changed for the better.  I've been
in Haiti since the beginning of the summer and the upset feeling caused by
the ballots on the street has been replaced by a depressed feeling of
resignation to a very difficult future.  "It will be five years of
dictatorship"
There is total fear of tomorrow from the business point of view.  Big company
are now refusing to keep credit accounts open even for their big clients (for
example cola companies to hotels and restaurants) because they have no idea
how much these credits in gourdes will cost them in dollars next week.
Small businesses are not doing any better. The neighborhood truck driver used
to do delivery of building supplies from six a.m. to six p.m. 6 days a week
at the beginning of the summer.  Since mid-August he has found it hard to
keep busy past mid-day.  The man selling colas and cookies at my son's school
had his business raided in the night after the fifth day of the school year.
The little boys who hang out at the near by gas station are still there
although school started.  I asked "Kijan ou fè pa al lekòl?" They can't go to
school because their uniform is not ready (they have yet to gather enough
money for new uniforms).
Whoever thinks that this government is working "for the people", would you
please explain how.  Why do some sections of the city have electricity from 1
to 4 in the morning?  To charge poor people's inverters?  To make sure that
the working people can iron their clothes in the middle of the night?  What
use is electricity at that time "for the people".
Those who think ENSEKIRITE is about car-jacking and businessman carrying cash
should think of the insecurity of public transportation.   The biggest
ZENGLENDOs are those in charge of public safety and who do everything to
encourage insecurity.  Why are there MACK trucks speeding in the wrong lane
everywhere on every road and semi-road?  When they kill groups of 10 and 20
in one accident, isn't that preventable crime?  When you take a good look at
those drivers, you see that the majority look very young.  Why can't they be
taught to repect life?  It is the government's job to monitor who drives and
how.  It can be no one else's fault.  Instead the police officers are
stopping little old ladies driving little cars and asking for the car papers.
 How are the people been helped there?
The government of Haiti is holding the people of Haiti hostage by acting as
if it has no control over the country's situation.  Building pieces of road
and school buildings are only minimal portions of the amount of work to be don
e here.  There is no excuse for these miserable living conditions, and for
keeping the majority of the country in the 18th century.  It can be fixed.
They just refuse to do so.
During the summer the president declared that people would have to tightened
their belts because of the possibility of embargo.  Who is this supposed to
help?  The pride of 10 to 50 politicians is more important than the plight of
millions?  Most people felt angry at the President for that statement and
responded: where are we going to get money to buy belts?  We don't even have
a belt how can we tighten our belts?
The quotes from current conversations of all classes:  Everyone who can get
out of here should try.  Why didn't the Americans stay and help us?  Did you
know that Canadians are giving visas to people who have an education?  What
should I study to be able to go to Montreal?
I came back to Haiti 3 months ago with a very positive attitude and with the
feeling that the world is changing fast and Haiti cannot avoid going the same
way as the rest of the world.  It is very hard to keep your attitude positive
here.