#5140: CEP president and Reuter report (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

I don't know, but I would guess that perhaps the (new) Reuter correspondent
in Haiti, Trenton Daniel, made an error in his recently-posted story
quoting CEP president Ernst Mirville.  He wrote that:

> During his news conference, Mirville criticised the opposition
> parties, calling them "puppet opposition."
>     "This is the most repugnant elite," he said.

I think it's likely that Mirville said "MRE," which means Morally-Repugnant
Elite (not Most).  Reporter Daniel wasn't around when the term was coined
early during the coup years by a Haiti-based US diplomat.

However, Mirville's bias remains deplorable.  Will any Haitian public
official have the courage to contradict him or call him to account for
violating his official brief to organise elections impartially?

        Greg Chamberlain