#5326: Simidor's posting of 10/13--not for List publication -- reconsidered as anonymous post

[Corbett comments.  This note was sent to me, a cc. of the note sent
to Daniel Simidor.  After I urged the author to reconsider I did get
permission to post this anonymously.

I asked for this permission, even argued for it, not because I
was in such special agreement with the position, but because I do
think considered and strong felt views should be heard.  These are
specially difficult times and they try the optimism and hope of the
most optimistic and hopeful.  We need to share our thoughts with one
another.]

Dear Bob,

Perhaps I am a coward not to post this directly to the List -- but I have no
idea how much trouble I could create if I posted it to the List -- for
myself, primarily, but also in general. For a long time I've been hoping I
have been mistaken in my impressions of a trend I observed beginning even in
late 1995...

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXX

Dear Daniel,

That was a more-than-alarming piece of news, and if true, your analysis
articulates why that is so. Coupled with the report from Batay Ouvriye in the
Central Plateau, which also seems true, I don't see what can be done as we
watch events unfold, inexorably.

I've been unhappy with the List lately too -- all the freshness and innocence
is gone now. There is some rehashing of things as new people enter, but
everything has been said, I think, and more words will make no difference at
all. I feel like someone watching a disaster, and turn my eyes away in shame
and horror.