5378: Hotel recommended (fwd)

From: Affuller@aol.com

Dear Corbetteers:

I've got a hotel to recommend to adventurous or impecunious travelers to
Haiti: It's the Business Bar Hotel on Grand' Rue between Rue d'Ennery and Rue
Champs de Mars.  Address: #495 Blvd. J.J. Dessalines.  It reminded me of the
simple, cheap hotels I stayed in as a student traveling around Europe years
ago.

Now staying on Grand Rue means stepping out into dirt and noise and
night-time danger, but with a little caution, some people will find the
compensation adequate.

Business Bar opened earlier this year.  It is clean and the staff are very
helpful.  Right now, a room with a private bath, running cold water all the
time, is $60 Haitian.  That's less than US$15 at the current exchange rates.
A room with a shared bath is $45.   The hotel used to have a working Delco
but it is out of order, which puts a visitor at the mercy of EDH.  Last week
this meant about 10 hours of electricity a day, mostly during daylight hours,
which left us with only candle light all evening long.  Each room has a
first-class ceiling fan, which keeps one very comfortable when EDH
accommodates.  The hotel has no telephone but if you have a cell-phone, and
one can be rented at the airport for about the same daily price as this
hotel, this is no obstacle.  Also, there is no place to park a car in
security and no one in their right minds leaves a car out overnight on Grand
Rue.

You can purchase your morning coffee from a street vendor down the block and
eat at the fairly decent L'Union Restaurant a couple of blocks away.
Business Bar has beers, juices, and soft drinks, and will provide treated
iced drinking water.  The friendly and obliging manager of the hotel is
Georges Belair and I promised him that I would do some advertising. Good luck!

Anne Fuller