5440: HAITI: Lavalas Repression Against MPP and Other Activists (fwd)

From: Karioka9@cs.com

Hinche in the Central Plateau, home to Charlemagne Peralte's peasant guerilla
during the first US occupation of Haiti, is the new battleground between the
Lavalas shock troops known as "Chimères," and an independent grassroots
movement struggling for its survival.  Hinche is also the home of the Papaye
Peasant Movement (MPP) led by Chavannes Jean-Baptiste.  In recent weeks, MPP
launched a region-wide mobilization to protest an anti-democratic grab for
power by the ruling Lavalas party led by former president Jean-Bertrand
Aristide, and the escalating cost of living. Last month, a  march of 8,000
peasants from Papaye to Hinche drove home that point, holding a Lavalas armed
provocation at bay.  Also last week, the MPP leadership announced a series of
demonstrations across the Central Plateau.

What happened next is no longer a surprise.  On Thursday, Nov. 2, an MPP
leadership meeting in Hinche was interrupted by an armed gang of Lavalas
supporters who wounded six people in an attempt to kill Chavannes
Jean-Baptiste.  The MPP members managed to protect their leader, but one
person grievously wounded was Chavannes' youngest brother, Dieugrand, who was
shot twice in the chest.  Lavalas apologists, including one Haiti-Progres
reporter in NY, have tried to blame this incident on the  CIA and other
occult forces (the so-called Laboratory), but Lavalas point men in Hinche
have already acknowledged their involvement, alleging that the victims had
actually attacked them!

If people were alloy, Dieugrand Jean-Baptiste would be pure gold.  I first
met Dieugrand in 1998, on a visit to the Central Plateau.  Dieugrand is an
agronomist and MPP organizer.  He and a small group of MPP organizers took me
and my friend Bertin on a tour of the greater Bassin Zim area, where MPP is
involved in a struggle against erosion and deforestation.  Dieugrand's naive
love for trees, his ingenious and low-tech canalization of Bassin Zim water
for his tree farm projects (thousands and thousands of robust seedlings
readied for the fight against erosion) made me think of a wood elf.  At
night, the constant teasing of the bashful and unmarried Dieugrand, by macho
older peasants, reminded me of a living Manuel, the hero of Jacques Roumain's
"Gouverneurs de la Rosee" who refused  to kiss and tell as far as his love,
Anaise, was concerned.  I grieve for Dieugrand and his brothers, Chavannes
and Bazelais.  I grieve for their mother whom I met briefly and who reminded
me of Mrs. Massena Peralte.  I say woe to the scum who would harm them.

This weekend in St. Louis du Sud, the actor and playwright Herve Denis was
also the victim of an assassination attempt. After a public meeting where he
spoke against the Lavalas hegemonic agenda, a pickup truck pulled up and let
out an armed militiaman who quickly moved to the front of the crowd and fired
at the stage. People on the stage, who saw the gunman coming,  pushed Denis
to the ground,  saving his life.  Lavalas strongman Henricles Joachim, a.k.a.
Jean Mentor, then got out of the pickup truck, beating his chest and
declaring that he was the mayor of St. Louis du Sud, and that henceforward no
meeting shall be held there without with his approval.

Also this weekend in NY, the woman leader Yanick Etienne of Batay Ouvriye, an
independent trade-union initiative among women workers in the countryside,
launched an impassioned plea for people-to-people solidarity with the
grassroots movement in Haiti.  The upcoming elections are a sham, she said, a
conflict between two voracious gangs of exploiters, i.e., Lavalas and its
bourgeois opposition.  Things have turned into their opposites.  The
solidarity movement outside of Haiti needs to wake up to the reality that the
Aristide they supported in 1991-1993 is not the Aristide of today.  Lavalas
populism since Aristide's return to power, on the wing of a 20,000-strong US
invasion, has been on a collusion course with fascism.  The last six years of
Aristidism have been a free reign of corruption, repression and drugs.  After
all what did the progressive movement expect?  That a 200-year problem of
oppression and foreign dependency would fix itself while almost everyone else
was busy elsewhere?

Daniel Simidor