5845: Re: 5844: Violence against foreigners in Haiti and deportees (Saint-Vil) : Grey replies

From: Racine125@aol.com

<<   All I am saying is this : The «friends of Haiti» have greatly
contributed to the worsening of the zenglendo problem in Haiti, with these
deportees.>>

WRONG!  The DEPORTEES have "greatly contributed to the worsening of the
zenglendo problem in Haiti".  What do you expect the USA to do, say, "Oh, we
will just keep these robbers and killers here, so they rob and kill Americans
instead of Haitians"?

<< As for the use of the term « blan», we have gone through this several
times
 before on this list. As a Manbo who have been to Haiti time and time again
 you must know that it is used to identify foreigners. More often, foreigners
 of european descent but not exclusively so. There is no need to get
 sensitive over the use of the term blan.>>

I know white people who still say, "When we said 'nigger' we didn't mean
anything by it."  The term blan is racist, objectifying, and pejorative.  Ask
the people who are the objects of any term how they feel about it, not the
people who use the term.

<< In anycase, it is obvious that the type of violence prevalent in Haiti has
 changed. It is no longer limited to petty theft, political repression or mob
 revolt. Today, there are professional criminals operating in Haiti and, to
 my humble opinion, the new deportees have greatly contributed to this
 change. I further speculate that the change in attitude displayed towards
 foreigners can easily have been influenced by this same factor.>>

Nah!  Those maniacs in the cemetery weren't zenglendos.  It's just moral
laziness - it's so much easier to blame those nasty, nameless, faceless
"blans" than to attack the real flaws in Haitian society, namely a culture
which does not condemn stealing and lying as long as the victims are
outsiders, including "blans".

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb