6136: Observations from Haiti: Chamberlain comments (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

carolineislands@hotmail.com  wrote:

> This is not any kind of surprise to me,
> and has so often been the case that
> I largely ignore all the negative media...
> especially since it's been out there each
> and every time I've been to Haiti and has
> never been anything close to accurate.
> The last time I went, my initial flight was
> cancelled due to "civil unrest."

American Airlines (to cite the main "culprit") is the
one to sometimes use the words "civil unrest" as a
pretext to cancel its Haiti flights.  On such occasions,
no media has used such words and often has not
even reported events that could be thus qualified.

As ever, it's all too easy and satisfying to bash the
press for allegedly being wrong while blithely getting
it even wronger oneself.  God help us all if such
media critics were ever to be in charge of the media
themselves...

        Greg Chamberlain