6151: Karshan on Quakers and Quaker-related programs in Haitii (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

I am not aware of any Quaker meetings in Haiti in any location. AFSC
(American Friends Service Committee) does work in Haiti in the countryside
but is not necessarily staffed by Quakers.  Eleanor Snare, who used to be the
director of the Haitian-American Institute and is a birthright Quaker, was
never able to point me to a  meeting.  I have been an attender for twenty
years and would welcome knowing of a meeting or when desired I would be
willing to host one.

There is a Quaker directory which lists Quaker families internationally who
are willing to host Quakers traveling.  I haven't looked at that list in 15
years but it did have a listing in the Dominican Republic, but not in Haiti
at that time.

My program Alternative Chance, or Chans Altenativ, which helps criminal
deportees in Haiti, also does AVP workshops, the Alternative to Violence
Project, which was founded by Quakers in New York together with prisoners at
Greenhaven Correctional Facility in New York 25 years ago.  I am one of the
co-authors of the AVP basic workshop.  The criminal deportees in my program
are thus familiar with AVP having taken the Basic, Advanced and Training for
Trainers workshops.  Some have gone on to become facilitators. Every year at
least two Quakers come to Haiti from the US or Canada to facilitate the
workshops with us.  Recently a Quaker came here to do peer counseling
training with my program based on AVP principles (which are based on Quaker
principles).  I attended the First International AVP conference two years ago
in Texas representing our AVP chapter in Haiti.  In September 2000, the
second international conference of AVP was held in England.  I didn't attend
but a Quaker women who had recently been here working with our program spoke
on our behalf.
Michelle Karshan
mkarshan@aol.com
altchance@aol.com