6411: Wishes to Haitians on Jan 1, 2001 (fwd)

From: Guy Antoine <GuyAntoine@windowsonhaiti.com>

I invite each one of you to go to Windows on Haiti,
http://windowsonhaiti.com,  and register your wishes for all
Haitians, on the occasion of the upcoming 197th anniversary
of Haiti's independence.  Click on the "Happy Birthday, Haiti" link.
Until she spoke no Christian nation had abolished Negro slavery.
Until she spoke no Christian nation had given to the world an
organized effort to abolish slavery.
Until she spoke the slave ship, followed by hungry sharks, greedy
to devour the dead and dying slaves flung overboard to feed them,
ploughed in peace the South Atlantic, painting the sea with the
Negro's blood.
Until she spoke, the slave trade was sanctioned by all the Christian
nations of the world, and our land of liberty and light included.
Men made fortunes by this infernal traffic, and were esteemed as
good Christians, and the standing types and representations of the
Savior of the World.
Until Haiti spoke, the church was silent, and the pulpit was dumb.
Slave-traders lived and slave-traders died. Funeral sermons were
preached over them, and of them it was said that they died in the
triumphs of the Christian faith and went to heaven among the just.

Frederick Douglass