6422: TELECO For sale? (fwd)

From: felix Augustin <felix_augustin@hotmail.com>

Is anyone aware of this situation at TELECO?

I get the word last week that Teleco is in the process of opening
up their telephone service in the "province " to the private sector.  I
understand that a number of areas in particular, Gonaives, Le Nord are
already affected whereby the Teleco employees in these areas have already
been advised that their jobs will be phased out shortly and those who
survive, will be working from some private " Companies " that have yet to be
defined.

The question is: who own these private companies? Are they operating legally
in Haiti? As I understand, each province will have its own company and in
various places, the company will be nothing else
than a bogus company that belong to some elected officials. Teleco's assets,
such as cooling water fountain, fans and other small items for employees
have already been removed from some locations.

Understanding that Telecommunication in Haiti is still a monopoly as
legally VOip service can not be offered, at this juncture, I need to
comprehend the following :

1. Is Teleco yet privatized ?
2. Who are these bogus companies?
3. How do they select these companies in the areas?
4. Who made that decision ?
5. Is this a legal move by whoever is doing it ?
6. Was a "decree" published to call for bidders ?
7. Was is the status of Telecommunication in Haiti ?
8. Where is our regulatory body in there ?

    We need to stay vigilant as the "pillage" of certain sectors might be in
progress . Can someone elaborate on that situation ? Is the country for SALE
or else?