6508: Re: 6496: RE: 6281: Haiti Now (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>From: "Hoover, Julie H." <Hoover@pbworld.com>
>

>....The negatives
>about Aristide I received came from  the bourgeoisie and the international
>community.

I think this is very important to note, especially considering that this
small segment of Haitian society are the ones who unfortunately hold the
power to spread whatever negative propaganda that furthers their cause, and
the US media are far too ready to help, since it also furthers the US goal
of maintaining the status quo.  One of the posts quoted someone as saying
how they believe Aristide is aware that the "success" of his presidency
depends on the support of the Haitian people and his cooperation with the
international community.  I'm sure he knows this well -- especially after
the last go around. Besides, how could you *not* understand such a thinly
veiled threat? The whole situation supports my growing belief that Haiti's
number one problem is not poverty, lack of democracy, over-population,
de-forestation or any of the other maladies often named as her downfall.
Haiti's biggest problem is her proximity to the United States, as most
anybody in Haiti might agree, except of course that little handful of filthy
rich who adore their position and are more than thankful for the fact that
the Lavalas party and the common Haitian whom it represents will never be
able to truly stand up and take power as long as the US has even one foot
left in Haiti (which it always will), and as long as US media remain a pawn
in the hands of politicians and not-so-cleverly disguised Duvalierists who
have been itching for this for years.  I don't usually 'fouye bouch mwen nan
zafe politik,' and I will probably get chewed up and spit out for this
(perhaps by members of groups mentioned above...).  But I am angry, I feel
helpless and I don't know what to do about it.  We can't even get a letter
to the editor published!  How in the world are we going to be heard and get
this speeding train stopped before it finally turns into the full scale
travesty that's being orchestrated by those in power.  And if we think this
is bad, just imagine what the Bush administration is going to do with it.

Pulling my hair out.

C. Henrius