6781: Re: 6760: Subj: 6747 Haitian Army, Dorce to JAAllen (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

JAALLEN181@aol.com writes:

<<  I would like Ms. Dorce to define "minority classes" for me.  Is she
 talking about the professionals, the rich Haitians, the light skinned
 Haitians, the landowners, the business owners or the politicians?  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I am talking about anyone who considers themselves not a majority class
Haitian.  That includes elites and those in the middle class who aspire to be
elite.  If a person sees himself as apart and superior from the peasant
class, then they are the miniority class to whom I referred.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
<<Between us, it would bother me greatly to realize that I
will not get to be in the majority in any country! >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I wonder if you mean that, with regard to Haiti.  Somehow, I think you might
enjoy being referred to as upper class.  Correct me if I am wrong.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
<<Misconception I. All Haitians in the "minority classes" are right
wingers, nostalgic about the defunct Army, and in favor of suppressing a
people that are democratic by nature.>>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I agree with you that all minority class Haitians are not right wingers who
feel that Haiti needs their army back.  Thank heavens.  In fact, many of them
are on this list.  I do not refer to them as they do not see themselves as
above the majority class Haitian.  I speak only of those who see majority
class Haitians as children (somewhat stupid children) who need to be told
what to do and what is best for them.  The seem to feel that what those
"children" need is a very, very stern father to knock them in line.  I think
the people are saying that this is not so and they would like to be treated
like the thinking, feeling adults they are, and given the same respect
accorded to the educated and more fortunate minority.

You use the term lumpen proletariat.  That is a very divisive term, and
possibly derisive in the context in which it was used.  They are citizens of
Haiti, and deserve to have a better chance at life than they have been given
thus far.  Your point about how many educated and gifted people were
destroyed by Duvalier using the army or the makouts, is well taken but only
goes to make my point that any armed force used to repress the people (poor
or otherwise) is not healthy for the country.  Expedient, yes.  Neat, yes.
(people are killed in a building instead of the street) Quick fix, yes.  But
in the long run, the slow and steady change brought on by education and
re-education of those who already consider themselves educated, will serve
the country better.

And that last phrase you used, "and in favor of suppressing a people that are
democratic by nature."  Do you really think they are democratic in nature?
They have never lived in a democracy.  That is an interesting idea.  My
thoughts about the transition from dictatorship to democracy is that it is
very difficult to deal with because new found freedom is confusing and even
disturbing until people realize that with added freedom comes added
responsibility.  The changes that Haiti needs to make are huge and will take
generations to complete.  It is tempting to want to resort to old ways of
keeping order, but that is going the wrong direction and will only prolong
the agony.  I wish all the educated Haitians who are resisting this change,
would try to figure out how they can contribute to Haiti's improvement
instead of putting up intellectual tire barracades.  Onward and upward.

Kathy Dorce~