6800: Re: 6782: Re: 6776: adoption : 4 responses (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>From: "Haitian Street Kids, Inc." <haitianstreetkids@rescueteam.com>
>
>Haiti's adoption laws require that an adoption take place in Haiti
>before the child leaves the country with an American visa. (Article
>126, Droit de la Famille, reprinted in 82 Le Moniteur 916 (November
>24, 1983); Decret du 25 Mars 1966 sur l'adoption, reprinted in 32 Le
>Moniteur 353 (April 18, 1974)).

Isn't there also a two year waiting period after the child has been adopted
and in your care, before he/she is elegible for a visa?  This would make it
kind of sticky since the child has to be in your physical care for 2 years
and they have to be adopted IN Haiti.  So, I guess that means you're going
to have to go down there and live 2 years with the child in Haiti before
they can get their visa...  ?

US INS has many clever and well thought out ways of keeping the numbers of
actual visas issued to Haitians down to a minimum while the number of
applications (and their accompanying fees, of course) stay high as a kite.