#7027: Re: 7014: Re: 6999: Govt Plan: on Vodou (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 02/12/2001 11:34:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Moibibi@aol.com writes:

<< The Haitian government is still ashamed of who the majority of the Haitian
 people are.

 In reality, Vodoun is the religion of the Haitian people, the system of
 creeds that gives the country its identity. What do we have to be so ashamed
 of? Vodou never started any war to convert anyone, Vodoun has existed for
 milleniums and it teaches its initiates to be proud of whom they are, it
 teaches moral values, it provides natural medicine to the sick that cannot
 afford modern medicine and much more. What is wrong with that? >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dear Bèbè Pierre Louis,

I think there is another way to interpret the minimal treatment Vodou got in
the plans of this government.  The separation of church and state.  It is a
good idea not to mix the two or you get the government meddling in people's
private business and making moral choices for them.  The fact that Vodou was
named at all over any other religion, is respect.  Also note that it is in
print that Vodou exists and is welcome.  This means a person will not be
persecuted for their choice to live with Vodou.

One step at a time.  Gain respect by earning it if you truly wish it.  My
opinion is, watch out what you wish for, or you might get it and then you
will have all kinds of folks coming to Haiti wanting to change Vodou to suit
their own values and needs...;).  There is a certain freedom in remaining on
the outside of the mainstream, if you know what I mean.

Respect,

Kathy Dorce~