7344: Mambo Racine for Ruckle, with a few thoughts on Vodou , morality (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

James R. Ruckle <jruckle@citynet.net> asks a key question, or rather his language begs a key issue in understanding Vodou, as he writes, "Is it the job of a Vodou priest to mediate between the forces of good and evil as equals?"

Yes and no, or rather, rephrase the question.  In Vodou there is that which is good for me and that which is bad for me, not "good" or "evil" as moral absolutes.

Let me illustrate - imagine that you come to me for assistance with getting a certain promotion at work.
If I am like most Houngans and Mambos, I will not only invoke to advance your cause, but I will also work to damage and undermine any potential rivals for the  position.  What is good for you is bad for your rival, with no moral judgement involved at all.  Your rival could lose her job and therefore her livelihood, that is her problem.

I've talked about this before - unlike God, who loves all equally, the lwa serve those who serve them.  I
may gain some advantage over my rival by doing better service to a certain lwa than my rival does.

So rather than "mediating between the forces of good and evil as equals", we invoke for the aims of our
congregation members, our clients, and ourselves.

Now having said all that, in the fellowship of Houngans and Mambos asogwe in the Vodou tradition, there is some scorn reserved for those who perform really aggressive magic to harm innocents such as children, and so forth.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html