7426: RE: 7405: Re: 7392: RE: 7377: RE: 7368: Help wanted (fwd)

From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

Robert Stewart assumes that life is simple. The relationships between
Maroons and non-Maroons in Jamaican society are veryy complex, as are
relationships between humans in any way we categorize ourselves. After all,
how does one "explain" Idi Amin or Papa Doc turning on "their" people, or
Sothanax turning against "his" people. Can I not do, and enjoy, and
celebrate, a dance for Paul Bogle because some white person's ancestor (not
mine--mine were in Poland) killed him?
Before I started learning the history, I expected that all Jamaicans honored
all Maroons (after all, Nanny is a national hero). But then discovered many
(most?) Jamaicans find the Maroons stuck-up, arrogant, stand-offish, sidity,
braggadocious, etc.
Is the same the case in Haiti, or are Maroons there revered because there
are no ongoing Maroon communities to piss people off?

Dr. Karen F. Davis
Associate Professor and Head of Department, Humanities
Marygrove College
8425 West McNichols
Detroit, Michigan 48221, U.S.A.
Telephone: 313-927-1352