7481: Re: 7432: Usefulness of spring break trips to Haiti

From: Tom Bliss and/or Karen Sandberg <santa@sparc.isl.net>

three-week visits to Haiti have left me a changed person (perhaps "changed
American" is more accurate).  I have not been to Haiti since 1988 and have
no idea whether my time there benefited anyone but myself, but would like
to think that those whose wounds I dressed were somewhat less miserable
for
it.  That the shit I cleaned from the beds of dying tuberculosis and AIDS
patients made their last hours a little more comfortable.  I don't know
how
to solve the problems there, so I just did what I could.  I rode the
tap-taps and joked with my fellow travellers therein, I horsed around with
kids in the streets, I got dirty, I took photos, I loved it.  Did they
love
me?  I hope so a little.

Tom