ASSIGNMENT: WRITE AN ANALYTIC PAPER
PHIL 1010 50: Fall (II) 2001
THE ANALYTIC PAPER
- The paper is EXACTLY one page long -- to the line. This is to attempt to force
you to do careful editing of the text, an important part of the skill of critical
- You must put your name and all such on a cover page. The one page of the
paper itself must begin on the first line and end on the very last line of the
- The margin are extremely strict. I will hand out a sample page and accept
- In the first sentence state the theme of the paper or particular argument you are doing.
- The second sentence should be the statment of what you take is the author's MOST
IMPORTANT thesis in the paper. ONLY in the case where there are two or more EQUALLY
important theses you much choose one of them. But the one you choose must be either
THE most important theses, or ONE of them.
- Name / NUMBER / Fully explain -- the main arguments for the thesis.
- Be sure you run the IF / THEN test on these arguments. EACH independent argument
must be a sufficient argument for the thesis. If it is not, then it simply isn't
an argument for the thesis.
- Observe the rigorous margins Corbett demands.
- Write in fully intelligible and standard English.