a188: Re: Sun-Sentinel article on CRESFED (fwd)

From: Karioka9@cs.com

A word of thanks to Deborah Ramirez for her article in the Miami Sun-Sentinel
on Dr. Gerard Pierre-Charles and the destruction of his research center in
Port-au-Prince.  The destruction of CRESFED is a unique loss for Haiti as a
whole.  Yet one cannot truly blame the barbarians who carried out the act
itself: they had probably never been on the inside; they had no real idea of
what they were sent to destroy. When a tree is cut down in the forest, one
should look for the hand that wields the ax.  That hand, or rather the
individuals who ordered the destruction of CRESFED, they knew quite well the
value of what they condemned to fire.  Jean-Bertrand Aristide, to name the
ultimate culprit, knew quite well the value of CRESFED because he benefited
from it in the past.  As a matter of fact, he used to praise CRESFED's work
and the minds behind it. But one can only imagine the mindset of those who
would dispatch a mob to burn down such a center of knowledge!  Papa Doc for
one had more respect for the artifacts of knowledge: his m.o. was to get rid
of any intellectual who would get in his way . . . but to incorporate their
library to his own!

I visited CRESFED in May '98 and bought several hundred dollars of
publications and resource material for myself and friends.  There were loads
of other publications I promised myself to return for when I had more money.
Too late now.  On my way out of CRESFED, I briefly saw Dr. Pierre-Charles
coming in.  I waved curtly but did not stop to chat, because I disagree most
deeply with many of his actions and political choices since 1989.  Still, I
respect and admire the historian and the man of learning.  I grieve today for
his losses.  More importantly I grieve for the intellectual youth of Haiti
who have lost an important center of learning.  To paraphrase Billie Holiday,
it is so easy to dismantle but so hard to construct.

Daniel Simidor