a687: Taking Haiti : Military Occupation and the Culture of U.S. Imperialism, 1915-1940 (fwd)

From: amedard@gte.net

Just discovered a 'new' book on Haiti ... don't recall mention of it within the list,
so thought I'd share what I found.  I have (37) scanned (copyright) sample images of
the cover, the introduction pages and the index pages. If anyone would like to
receive all or a portion of them, let me know - I'll email them to the first 10
members who request.

Taking Haiti : Military Occupation and the Culture of U.S. Imperialism, 1915-1940
by Mary A. Renda
Hardcover - 432 pages (June 2001)
Univ of North Carolina Pr; ISBN: 0807826286 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.28 x 9.52 x
6.62

Editorial Reviews

>From Library Journal
In July 1915, U.S. armed forces occupied Haiti, where they remained until 1934. Renda
(history and women's studies, Mt. Holyoke Coll.) explores the intellectual
underpinnings of the U.S. military and political actions and how the occupation
affected American intellectuals and artists. Supporting the economic and military
reasons for the occupation was a sense of paternalism and racism. Haitians were seen
as a backward, inferior people needing the white man's benevolent protection. This
protection turned at times to violence, as U.S. marines suppressed Haitian uprisings
during the occupation. In turn, the exotic nature of Haiti as a whole, and the lure
of its voodoo tradition in particular, shaped individual Marines along with black and
white American thinkers, writers, and artists: Orson Welles, Eugene O'Neill, James
Weldon, Langston Hughes, and Zora Neale Hurston produced wonderful works of art
inspired by Haiti. Renda uses a wide collection of materials from diaries, memoirs,
letters, books, plays, and the arts to produce an excellent cultural study of the
development of American imperialism. Recommended for all libraries. Stephen L. Hupp,
West Virginia Univ., Parkersburg

Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.

LIBRARY JOURNAL
"Renda uses a wide collection of materials...to produce an excellent cultural study
of the development of American imperialism. Recommended for all libraries."