a783: Re: a777: Dow Jones Newswires: IMF: Haiti Political, Econ Record Prevents New Credit (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

"The International Monetary Fund said Friday it's unable to extend new
credit to Haiti owing to the country's ongoing political crisis and slow
progress toward economic reform. In a prepared statement, the Fund's
executive board said it had hoped for resolution of political unrest
associated with parliamentary and presidential elections in 2000 to support
discussions for aid under the IMF's Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility."

Once again I am left wondering what is the precedence for this? Is there
another example of the IMF so clearly taking sides in what is clearly an
internal political matter of a sovereign nation. I know that the US
government has a long and dark record where this question is concerned in
Latin America and the Caribbean but what of the IMF?