a862: (a854): Lawmaker's assassination: Chamberlain answers Wharram (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> From: Bruce Wharram <bruce.wharram@sev.org>

> Comparing the Reuters and the AP articles regarding
> the recent > assassination of a Haitian lawmaker and
> the differences in the "facts" reported, I begin to wonder
> again who to believe when it comes to reporting major
> news items. Consider the reported "facts":

Mr Wharram, the two versions I saw matched perfectly well:

>  Name spelling:
> Durogene/Dirogene

Understandable difference, since the pronunciation is identical

> Location:
> Appears to be Gonaives / Appears to be PaP

Both stories state the shooting occurred in PauP

> Circumstances:
> Sitting in car with bodyguards  /  Driving car with wife beside him  ...
  daughter & bodyguards in back

Both are true.  How do they conflict?

> Cause of shooting:
> Argument between gunmen /  Refusal of Dirogene to give gunmen and
bodyguards a ride

Neither story said this.  One said there was an argument between gunmen and
the bodyguards (not "between gunmen").  The other said the two gunmen asked
for a ride (not the gunmen and the bodyguards).  Neither detail conflicts.

        Greg Chamberlain