a973: Re: a945: Bahamian attitudes towards Haitians (fwd)

From: "Ms Caribbean Sunshine (Yahoo)" <ms_caribbean_sunshine@yahoo.com>

I just read the e-mail and the excerpt for The Nassau Guardian.  It has
upset me greatly, that the bias of one person would be perpetuated
throughout the Haitian Populace who do not live in the Bahamas as if this
attitude is previlent among Bahaminas.    Please note that all Bahamians do
not think that way and the refendum is not related primarily to our
relationships with Haitian immigrants and their marriages to Bahamian
citizens.  Bahamians are also quite enamored by relationships with persons
of other nationalities and also non-blacks as we study and work abroad and
meet such persons.

Persons like me feel that no one should get automatic citizenship to our
country whether they are black or white, Haitian or British or any
nationality.  The sovereignity of any country must be protected.  I feel
that there must be a waiting period before citizenship should be given, even
to a person married to a Bahamian.

Yes, many Bahamians have negative attitudes towards Haitians and these
feelings are sometimes mutual.  Additionally, many Bahamians have roots in
Haiti and are ignorant to the fact and many Haitians have  roots in Bahamas.
For example, my great great grandparents were Emmanuels...and you can
imagine where they came from.

I am from the sunny isle of Nassau in the Bahamas where everyone knows a
Haitian or is a Haitian or is of Haitian ancestry; we also know many other
nationalities too and are a mixture of other nationalities too.

(see addition below)

Respectfully,
Colajean Darville-Butler

P.S.My maiden name also has a French origin... and I AM BAHAMIAN.

The Bahamian electorate did
not agree with the
Referendum as worded  because  there were errors in it. The referendum
will
be
passed with amendments that respects the sovereignty of our country at a
later date.