a1024: Healing Hands for Haiti visit (fwd)

From: Matt Ray <mray@novell.com>

I just got back from Haiti last night.   I went down as a translator
for Healing Hands for Haiti.   There were also some of you from this
list there with me, which was wonderful!   Thanks, Maria, Nancy, and
John!      We spent the week receiving amputees and handicapped people
of all types and were able to help many people.   I personally saw 3 new
arms and at least 5 new legs built where no hope for them had been there
before.    The excitement and joy these people felt as they walked out
on new legs or were able to pick up things with their new arms was
overwhelming.    They were so happy!    With over 100,000 amputees in
Haiti, most of them don't believe that their arm or leg will ever be
replaced.    The expectations are so low that we have to ask them over
and over again, are you sure it's comfortable and reassure them that if
it is uncomfortable, we wont be taking it away, but want to make it
better.   On Friday, a man came in with just a short extension beyond
his knee.   Within 20 minutes of fitting the new leg, he was walking on
it with no crutches.     The doctors and therapists were overwhelmed
with how quickly the Haitian people adjusted to their new prosthetics.
   The biggest regrets we had were that we weren't prepared enough to
deal with all the above-knee and above-elbow prosthetics.    Apparently,
in the US, most amputees are below the knee and a below the elbow.

We also spent the week visiting 4 different orphanages where we
provided expert advice on physical and occupational therapy.    We also
sang, danced, and cried with many of the children there.   It was a
wonderful experience.

We are looking for more volunteers to go with us to Haiti in the
upcoming year.     If you are interested in going to Haiti with us on
any of our visits, please contact us to let us know.    You won't regret
going.     As we've stated before, we're looking for Prosthetists,
Orthotists, Physiatrists, Therapists (Occupational and Physical) and
Nurses.     We're also looking for translators, teachers, and people who
would love to have a life changing experience, going to Haiti, and
experiencing the overwhelming courage and love of the Haitian people and
those trying to help them.

For more information, you can contact me directly, or refer to our
website for additional contact information.

Matt Ray
Volunteer Translator and Webmaster
Healing Hands for Haiti
www.healinghandsforhaiti.org