a1073: a1012: Re: a1006: Evangelical Christianity in Haiti and the "pact with Satan" (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

Hello again Corbetteers!  In my last post, I wrote:

"Think about it!  If Haitians "dedicated the country to Satan in exchange for their freedom", then God must have been against the idea of Haitians having their freedom... right?"

And Cleo714 (I'm sorry, I still don't know your name) responded:

"Not necessarily.  I think the Christian viewpoint is that humans have free will and sometimes will in their impatience go a different route to achieve the very thing that God had planned for them."

Huh?  God *planned* for African men, women and children to be taken from their homes and shipped to Haiti, abused, raped, tortured, flogged, starved, and generally brutalized, all so that they could... achieve their liberation in a "Christian manner"?  Oh, please!

This is the "resignation philosophy" preached by evangelicals to smother political and social dissent.  It's consequences for Haiti have been disastrous.

The African-Haitian population of the day was perfectly right and justified in using force to overthrow the colonial slave-owning regime.  Failing to do so would have resulted in the continuation of slavery and the infliction of more death and suffering than the Haitian Revolution ever caused, which is one fact these evangelists conveniently overlook.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html